South Africa is a coal-dependent country. More than 90% of the country’s electricity is produced by coal, making it the biggest emitter of sulphur dioxide in the world. In recent decades this has created major problems for the country like:
- Heightened pollution levels and GHG emissions.
- An increasing number of sick people, especially kids.
- More people dying of asthma and other pollution-related diseases.
Achieving Net Zero by deploying microgrids
In 2021 the South African government realised and actively campaigned to raise funds to initiate clean energy projects across the region. One such project is the Microgrids Project for Gauteng Province which will make use of green hydrogen to generate electricity. This is the first such project in South Africa and therefore robust knowledge and education were needed to reduce coal-based power generation. Grant Son in association with the President of South Africa approached Project Guru to devise a Strategic Plan of deployment in the Gauteng Province.
We have made great progress using your reports. Sasol and the provincial government of Gauteng are using the strategy document in alignment with the Northern Cape Hydrogen strategy. Together it will strengthen the baseline microgrids and green hydrogen strategy for the South African government. The microgrids deployment strategy in Gauteng has now been adopted as an official tender process. The construction phase of the first two microgrids projects are expected to start as early as October 2022.Grant Son, Batho Phahameng Consulting
How did we help strategise the deployment?
- Different microgrid technologies around the world.
- Historical perspective of socio-economic dependency on coal.
- 360-degree risk analysis of microgrid technology.
- Possible gaps for R&D.
- Existing regulatory laws and suggest an amendment framework.
- A framework to identify different stakeholders.
- Various roles for the local partners.
- Project assessment criteria of the local partners.
- To prepare a provincial action plan for the stakeholders.
- Different stakeholders and groups and understand their necessities.
- About the various benefits of microgrid technology.
- About the financial benefits of the project.
- A 2030 outlook for South Africa’s carbon emissions.
- Government policy amendment framework.
- Energy transmission framework for Gauteng.
- Economic progress outlook for Gauteng.
- Progress tracking framework.