The rationale is written to describe the reasons for any study or research. It proffers a problem with apt solutions. It is a vital portion of any research as it explains the novelty and significance. It justifies the idea behind the research and is also called justification of the study. The rationale is formed around the background of the study. All prior data present on the topic is presented to identify the gaps present in the literature. Rationale sets the tone and ideas of the study.
A rationale needs to be meticulous and precise. Writing the rationale should be related to the following factors.
Elimination of gap in the literature
It is of utmost importance that the research should aid in eliminating the gaps present in the current literature. Moreover, it is compulsory to fill the voids present in the current pool of literature and revamp the present studies. But this does not mean that something totally new has to be invented in the field or the questions in the discussion. The idea is to provide fresh perspectives and angles which have not been discussed before.
Solving a specific problem
Research is conducted to solve the current problem. It can lay down a base for the implication of the specific problem and also highlight the benefits of solving such a problem with a specific solution. It should also be noted that at the time of conducting research it is not obligatory for research to be associated with a specific solution. The disquisition can be pure theory based in nature.
Aiding a business
Research acts as a vantage point in identifying specific problems in a business structure. Research can aid in solving such problems and give a good advantage over competitors. Many businesses based on agriculture, engineering, utility services thrive on innovation and needs constant jolts of novelty to keep floating. Many businesses conduct researches to make consumer goods better and efficient. Solving such problems can curb out any hindrances which have been identified in the study or implementing new solutions offered in the study to boost profitability.
By identifying the gaps in the literature, providing solutions and discussing the precise problem in intricate detail expands the current pool of the literature. By analyzing the current methods and utilizing them to find new paths aids in the expansion of perspective. The disquisition can also act as a precursor for many new ideas and study cases. New or current opportunities can be gauged, seized and ultimately cashed on by research.
Development of relevant skills
Research helps in nourishing critical thinking, inculcates creativity and time efficiency to enhance analytical skills. Conducting a study is mentally stimulating which is better for efficiency. Such a gamut of skills has long-lasting implications. Research helps in disclosing the truth and separating fabricated and underlying lies, the skills developed are essential for aspired career paths. The jolts of the invention enhance intelligence quotient (IQ). These skills help in bringing revolution and helps to make technological advancement a reality.
The research lays down the rudimental base for researcher’s career aspiration in the long term. Choosing an apt topic that is aligned with the study interest and career aspiration is important. Research answers in-depth knowledge on a particular topic contributes to increasing the chances of opportunities in a chosen career path. Furthermore, research is a great vacant point to identify a niche in the industry and gain ample and precise information regarding the subject and various aspects of the chosen industry.
Steps to follow while writing the rationale of the study
- In the first few lines provide the background of the topic in such a way that it tingles the curiosity of the reader. Also, introduce the problem that has to be discussed.
- Briefly explain the problem that has to be addressed and what the research outcomes are. The detailed synopsis of the problem and what the study would tackle.
- Use bibliographic citations to strengthen the reasonings for conducting the research, also highlight the intended audience which will scrutinize the research or use it for further studies.
- The purpose of the work and how it will be utilized further.
- Writing should be as concise as possible, it should be written in such a way that it avoids pretentious writing and could be readily understood by the intended audience.
- Avoid using specialized complex jargon or technical terms lingering around the problem. Describe the problem thoroughly and keep the information specific.
- In a few lines also discuss the impact of the intended research and its implications and impact in the real world.
- Also, highlight the additional references and methodology utilized for the research. Do not assimilate them too much in the writing. Focus on providing concise information and arguments foremost.
Rationale holds great importance as it sets the tone of the research and also intrigues a reader’s curiosity to dive into the work. It is necessary to formulate a robust rationale for any dissertation to enhance dissertations’ impact factor.
Latest posts by Priya Chetty (see all)
- Quantitative data characteristics - February 24, 2020
- How to formulate a research strategy? - February 21, 2020
- Common marketing strategies adopted by businesses that offer services - February 20, 2020