In today’s Digital Age electronic devices like mobile phones, laptops and computers, and tablet PCs are fast becoming an important medium for exchange of information and trade. Thanks to the internet people have found an easier way to do many things like staying connected with their friends and family, make purchases, get the latest news updates, and even earn money online. Recognizing the limitless potential of reaching out to consumers through this platform, companies are stepping up their efforts on online marketing by turning to a new concept called “cross platform campaign”.
Cross platform marketing
Online marketing, i.e. marketing and selling of products and services through the Web and e-mails, has seen a phenomenal rise in recent years. Until a few years back online marketing was simple and pretty straight forward—companies used to spam one’s email Inbox with their offers, pop-up windows on popular websites, and most famously, use Google Ads. However today, a consumer accesses the internet through many devices like phone and tablets, other than the regular laptops and desktop PCs. Thus it has become increasingly complex for a company to reach out to its target audience through so many mediums and devices in the most effective manner. This has led to the emergence of a new concept called “cross platform marketing”, which means formulating a marketing plan that encompasses all the devices and mediums to reach out to the target audience in the most effective and cost-efficient manner (The Epoch Times, 2012).
What is a cross platform campaign?
Technically a cross platform campaign encompasses traditional media channels such as TV, Radio, newspapers, etc. (Trademob, n.d.) But now companies have realized that it doesn’t make sense to spend millions on running a TV advertisement they cannot be sure that it has reached the intended audience. Plus, there are much cheaper means of marketing like online and mobile marketing. Therefore, cross platform campaign has emerged as a concept where companies design strategies to reach their target profile through various internet devices and mediums effectively.
Which online mediums and devices are used in a cross platform campaign?
Popular devices targeted by companies for their campaign are:
- Laptops and desktop PCs.
- Mobile phones/ smartphones.
Most common online mediums through which companies reach their target audience are (Websearchsocial, 2012):
- Social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Blog platforms like WordPress and Blogspot.
- Instant messaging channels like Gtalk and Skype.
- Audio and video sharing websites like Youtube.
- Search engines like Yahoo! and Google.
- Online gaming and Xbox.
How are these strategies framed?
The main purpose of a cross platform campaign is to reach every customer through different channels in a unique way. Therefore, a different strategy/approach is framed for each device type and medium type. For example, consider a detergent brand that Company A wants to advertise. Following is a cross-platform campaign strategy it might adopt:
- Email: An image advert carrying a smashing tagline, attractive graphics and a simple message.
- YouTube: A ten-second video showing the properties of the detergent, perhaps with models and price details.
- Twitter/ Facebook: An interactive Page for the detergent where it posts it latest developments/ news, exciting offers and feedback/complaints from users.
- Search Engines: A still or graphic image with a catchy tagline at the very beginning of the page.
Since the concept has come into existence only recently, there are not many companies offering or availing special services for designing a cross platform campaign. However, the numbers are increasing. It is glaringly obvious that since the use of online communication devices are on the rise, the scope for cross platform campaigning will also see huge developments in the future.
- The Epoch Times (2012). The Marketing Corner: Cross-Platform Marketing. Article published on 30th November 2012. Available at http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/business/the-marketing-corner-cross-platform-marketing-320539.html.
- Trademob (n.d.). Utilizing cross-platform app marketing campaigns to acquire new users. Available at http://www.trademob.com/utilizing-cross-platform-app-marketing-campaigns-to-acquire-new-users/.
- Websearchsocial (2012). How To Be Successful At Cross-Platform Marketing. Article published on 28th Sep, 2012. Available at http://www.websearchsocial.com/how-to-be-successful-at-cross-platform-marketing.
- Application of multivariate regression analysis - June 9, 2021
- The shift towards an efficient remote working strategy - May 20, 2021
- Relevance of leadership in a remote working environment - May 17, 2021