How to write the significance of the study in a thesis?
The introduction chapter of the thesis contains the section “significance of the study”. As the name clearly indicates, its primary purpose is to explain the primary contributions of the thesis. Thesis significance is essential in the introduction because it indicates the relevance of the work, potential outcomes and the major beneficiaries of the study. Ideally, a thesis significance should portray the following elements:
- General contribution of the study.
- Specific contribution and application of study.
- Grounds on which the study is based.
- Explain with logical reasons the benefits of the study.
The significance of the study is a way through which the researcher conveys to the reviewer how the thesis is unique. It could be for the reviewer of the thesis, peer review by an academician, publication on various platforms, or to apply for a research grant. A clear statement of the thesis significance and its contribution gives the reader information about the research purpose too.
Write an impactful and effective thesis with significance
For an impactful significance of the study section, try to answer the following questions:
- What are the implications of my study?
- Why is it important to carry out this research?
- How does my study influence the policymaking process?
- How is my study related to existing knowledge on the subject?
- What benefits does my study have for others in the concerned subject area or the public?
- What new perspectives does my study add to the concerned subject?
- How can better theoretical models be built by using my study?
- How would my study contribute to bridging the gaps in existing available research?
- How will my study change the existing way of life?
Ideally, the length of the significance of the study section should range between 200-500 words.
- Step 1: Identify the gaps in existing research. The gaps should be relatable and realistic or quantifiable. Explain these gaps in the form of a problem statement.
- Step 2: Explain how the thesis research will benefit. For instance, will it explain a topic or element on which barely any information is available?
- Step 3: Explain how the research will benefit the industry. For instance, if the thesis is concerned with an investigation of the manufacturing industry, what are the key takeaways for the industry that will help them improve their performance?
- Step 4: Explain how the investigation will benefit the government. For instance, will the government be able to implement the suggested model or framework? Will it influence the economy, public policy, or general public behaviour in any way?
How to maintain a good flow in the significance of the study section
The researcher can use the following methods to make the thesis significance of the study section impactful.
- The problem statement section acts as the foundation of the thesis significance of the study section. It should therefore be very strong and concise.
- Avoid writing vague statements. Rather the statements should be put in a very simple way.
- The flow of writing should be from general to particular i.e. covering the general contribution of study (the broad area) and then moving to the specific contribution (narrowing down).
- Avoid repetition of facts or statements.
- Avoid deviation from the subject/ area of study.
- Logical reasons should be added to justify the need for research.
Example of thesis significance of the study
Examining the need of adopting smart education in secondary education in India.
The thesis significance of the study section can be written as follows.
With the rapid growth in information and technology, the need for moving toward an IT-based education system is intensifying. In India, the limited use of smart technologies usage prevents students from improving their learning experience. Despite the growing number of studies on this problem, not much attention has been devoted to understanding the connection between smart education and educational development in India. This study focuses on bridging this gap in the existing literature by examining the contribution of smart education toward a superior learning experience for secondary school students.
This linkage of the IT sector with education would not only improve the education gaining experience of students but broadly would lead to the social development of the country. The prospect of increasing the accessibility of education along with creating a better learning experience would enable an improvement in the living standard. Further, the improvement in the learning experience of students would enable them to enhance their creativity level, have better interaction with teachers, and even gain better practical knowledge of aspects. This would help students strengthen their conceptual foundation. Thus, smart technology plays an undeniable role in socio-economic development and the life of students. This study will be significant in identifying all these aspects and help the government and secondary schools in upgrading their current policies of education and teaching for the socio-economic development of the country.