All forms of media these days seem to be flooded with human rights issues and debates. When we say human rights, they refer to those rights which are inherent to all human beings irrespective of caste, color, sex, nationality, religion, ethnic origin, language or any other factor. Some of the human rights include right to freedom from torture, freedom from slavery, right to security, education, work, marry, and right to equality before the law etc.
Human rights violations
These rights are fundamental to every human being but still there are several occurrences of human rights violations in India which create a need for some authority to regulate such issues. In India, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) is the authority responsible for regulating such issues. But the situation is alarming and human rights violation is a serious matter which needs immediate action. Issues like child labor, dowry, harassment, rape, workplace exploitation, and custodial deaths have become an everyday affair.
Latest statistics of NHRC has revealed that Uttar Pradesh tops among all the states for maximum number of human rights violation complaints followed by the country’s capital Delhi. In most cases of human rights violation, the victims hesitate to raise a voice and file petition in court because of the slow pace of justice in our country and even when the case is filed, in most cases the authorities are helpless to take any actions against the culprit because of lack of proofs. The situation is worse and cannot be improved unless the citizens themselves co-operate with the authorities.
- 1. Kasturi Kannan, Civil litigation? No, thanks, July 12, 2009, accessed on February 27, 2011, Available: http://www.indiatogether.org/2009/jul/gov-civil.htm
- Rights violation cases in India alarming, June 8, 2010, accessed on February 27, 2011, Available: http://www.igovernment.in/site/rights-violation-cases-india-alarming-38145
- Human Rights, Contemporary Issues, accessed on February 27, 2011, Available: http://www.abc.net.au/civics/rights/contemp.htm
- http://www.ohchr.org/en/issues/Pages/WhatareHumanRights.aspx , accessed on February 27, 2011.
Latest posts by Ankita Agarwal (see all)
- How to write the theoretical framework of the research? - November 12, 2019
- Activity-based costing or ABC model in logistics - September 20, 2019
- Understanding the value of logistical cost in a business - September 17, 2019