Installing Mendeley for referencing
Using Mendeley for academic writing will help researchers finish writing process faster because of a number of functions (Know More here). It is recommended to use Chrome rather than Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox, as it is the most user-friendly browser for installing Mendeley.
To install Mendeley follow these steps:
- Go to https://www.mendeley.com/.
- Create a free account, and Click on “Download” (Top right side corner).
- Create an account by entering the required details.
- Sign in using the user ID & password.
- Go to: https://www.mendeley.com/downloads
- Click on “Download Mendeley Desktop”
- Install Mendeley like any other application or software.
- Open Mendeley Desktop. It looks like this:
- Enter email ID & password which registered on Mendeley.com.
- The next step is then to “Import your existing library” and click Next to import files.
- Then, go to “Tools” and click on “Install Web Importer“.
- A new page will open on the browser. Drag the grey button “Save to Mendeley” to your Bookmarks” bar. The bookmarks bar is just below the address bar i.e. where one can type the website URL. If it is not visible then go to your browser settings and change the bookmark visibility settings. This is needed for importing files to the database.
- When the bookmark is successfully done, it will look like this:
- Open the desktop application again and go to “Tools” and click on “Install MS Word Plugin”. One needs to close all MS Word documents before doing so. This is needed for inserting a citation in your documents.
- After installing the plugin, one will be able to view the “Mendeley” icon under “References” column in Word documents.
- Now one can use it for referencing your document and storing all sources.