One of the most serious problems organizations are facing today is stress. Stress is now an indispensable part of our lives. There are many reasons behind increasing stress levels at workplace. Which includes rising targets, strict deadlines, stiff competition, hectic working hours, turbulent work environment, increasing ambitions and conflict among staff, misleading organizational policies, and lack of proper communication in the organization.
Stress leads to reduced productivity
Every organization is working on methods to cope up with this situation because stress negatively affects the mental and physical health of employees and causes reduced productivity. Stress leads to increased absenteeism resulting into more mistakes which further causes friction and conflict in the organization. All this may prove very risky for the reputation of the organization.
Stress management is need of the hour for Indian organizations. Organizations employ various methods to manage stress among their employees. Such methods include providing:
- Healthy and hygienic work environment.
- Fair compensation.
- Flexible work schedules.
- Proper feedback mechanism.
- Insurance options.
- Proper leaves and holiday options.
- Training and job security so that employees feel motivated to work.
Some organizations even employ counselors to deal with stress related problems of employees. Activities like picnics, outdoor sports, stress management seminars and lectures are also undertaken by organizations to reduce stress levels among their staff.
Increasing competition in the global market has compelled Indian organizations to deal with stress management issues on a priority basis. Organizations are spending good amounts on stress management techniques because it is essential for their long-run survival and growth.
- Sanyo, Stress in Public & Private Sector, May 2, 2010, accessed on February 28, 2011, Available: http://www.articlesbase.com/human-resources-articles/stress-in-public-amp-private-sector-2277883.html
- Dale Collie, Top 10 Causes of Workplace Stress, accessed on February 28, 2011.
- National Portal Content Management Team, Stress Management, reviewed on January 25, 2010, accessed on February 28, 2011, Available: http://india.gov.in/citizen/health/stress_management.php
Latest posts by Ankita Agarwal (see all)
- How to write the theoretical framework of the research? - November 12, 2019
- Activity-based costing or ABC model in logistics - September 20, 2019
- Understanding the value of logistical cost in a business - September 17, 2019