Before studying the application of the conceptual framework, we need to first define it. It can be defined as a ‘visual’ presentation of key variables, factors or concepts and their relationship among each other which have been or have to be studied in the research either graphically or in some other narrative form (Miles and Huberman, 1994).
How to define a conceptual framework?
Conceptual Framework is like pre-planning wherein we define what the research will include. However, the position of a conceptual framework within Qualitative and Quantitative Research varies. The table below explains the difference in position.
In the case of quantitative research, the researcher defines the research problem and key variables which will be used to resolve the problem. However, in the case of qualitative research inductive position is applicable wherein the researcher seeks to build up theory. In such a situation, existing theories can be misleading and therefore the conceptual framework emerges after the research is complete.
However, here I should point out that researchers generally have an idea of what will feature in the study which could be treated as a tentative framework that would give an idea, however, can be changed over a period of time.
How to develop conceptual framework?
There are several inputs that are essential when working on a conceptual framework. The two main elements are;
- Experiential Knowledge: technical knowledge, research background and personal experience.
- Literature Review: related theory, related research and other theories and research related to the topic.
The key steps for the development of the conceptual framework are:
- Identify the key variables used in the subject area of the study.
- Draw out key variables within something you have already written about the subject area i.e. literature review.
- Perennial to the aim, segregate them as dependent and independent variables.
- Take one key variable and then brainstorm all the possible things related to the key variable(Dependent variable).
- After all the variables have been defined, focus on the number of relationships they can form with each other to determine the inter-relationships between all.
- The arrows used to identify the relationship between variables must be applied in the direction as to what impacts the other.
- Always keep in mind that the formation of conceptual framework directs the researcher to apply a suitable test for analysis.
It can be presented in the form of; flow diagrams, tree diagrams, mind maps or even shape based diagrams. Below are some examples for better understanding:
Using flow chart to present it
In this flow chart, it is evident that academic staff job satisfaction is associated with pay and growth resources, work-family conflict stressors, work relationship stressors, and work-role stressors. Therefore the dependent variable here is academic staff job satisfaction while the rest are independent variables. A suitable correlation or regression test can be applied knowing this representation.
Using tree diagram to present it
Similarly, in this tree diagram, it is well understood that customers behaviour changes with respect to various factors like experiences, values, lifestyle, or product’s expectations in terms of price, quality, information etc. Therefore this indicates that there are two possible areas for analyzing a customer’s behaviour and thus two hypotheses can be constructed out of this. One is related to consumer’s behaviour with respect to experiences, values, lifestyle etc while the other can be based on the product’s expectation.
A conceptual framework is essential to bring focus on the content and also acts as a link between literature, methodology, and results.
- Research , G. (2020, April 20). Difference Between Conceptual and Theoretical Framework. Youtube.Com. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cLPsDs8FVg
Miles, M. B., & Huberman, M. A. (1994): “Qualitative Data Analysis: An Expanded Sourcebook” (2nd edition). Beverley Hills, Sage.
- A guide to SEM analysis procedures - January 5, 2022
- Opportunities for online shopping companies in Indian rural markets - December 23, 2021
- How to emphasize the thesis introduction chapter from the rest of the chapters? - December 16, 2021